Sunday, April 15, 2007

Moved in...

I've now been living with a family here in Abancay for 6 days. It's been really cool experiencing the Peruvian culture and being able to listen to/speak Spanish all day.

The father, Luciano, is a judge or lawyer here in Abancay for the district of Apurimac, the mother, Rosemary, takes care of the house and cooks etc - and they have 3 children. The eldest, Ruy, is studying in Lima, so I haven't met him, then there's Diana who's 16 and Javier is 13. They're really friendly and fun.

My room is right on the street and I'm only metres away from people walking past and cars driving past - it makes for a good alarm clock in the morning and I'm gradually learning to sleep through it all, I bought a table and shelves to put all my stuff, I've gotten used to showering without a shower curtain and making the whole bathroom wet in the process, I'm getting used to having breakfast at 8ish, lunch at 2:30ish and dinner at 9:30ish, and I've had all sorts of yummy Peruvian food. So it's going pretty well - I'm loving it.

I also meet up with Esther, one of my friends from the IEP church, for Spanish class and practice each day for about 3 hours. Another girl, Sandra, is also helping me to get to know Abancay. So we walk around town, catch the combis, visit people I know and chat.

Praise God for:
- the opportunity to live with a local family - it's awesome!
- Esther and Sandra who are helping me with Spanish and culture

- no new bug bites!!

Pray for:
- my relationship with the family, that I will be a good witness and have opportunities to share the gospel
- my Spanish, that it will continue to improve

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hey Prilz,
I feel sorry to read all your blog messages in one go now. But I really enjoy reading your blog, just like reading your emails written in Peru 2 years ago. I always feel your excitment and passion. It is great to know that you are settling in the new place and start to get used different things. Are you updating the blog every monday? Then, I will read the blog once a week and keep you in prayers. What happened to your project and why did they fail you again? Take care.......chow

Monday, April 16, 2007 7:41:00 am  
Blogger Laura T said...

you're in Peru!!!!!
Wow, It's been great to follow part of your journey to Peru, I'm excited to see what happens in chapter 2!

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 5:11:00 am  
Blogger leoyt said...

¡Tan feliz que usted disfruta de la vida en Abancay! Hacemos bien aquí en Sydney, salvo que tengo que terminar un ensayo en TH603 y tengo idea muy pequeña en que escribir. Usted sabrá lo que quiero decir. ¡Haha!

Mayo Dios te bendiga en todo lo que usted hace para Él.

Leo

(Make any sense?! haha)

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:46:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home