Thursday, April 26, 2007

Spanish... Spanglish?

I had a language helper named Esther for about 5 days and then she got a job as a teacher about 2.5 hours away in Circa. So I have now started with Silvia... and her baby is due on the 18th May (but she has been told it will probably come early). She's the pastor's wife and we're bout the same age - we meet for about 3 hours each day and it's been really cool.

So I guess you might be thinking... what do you do with a language helper?

We usually meet in the plaza at 9am and then chat about what we the previous day in the arvo and at night. She corrects me if I say stuff incorrectly. After that, the topics of conversation can range from food, culture, stories, myths, people, clothing, church, colours, numbers... usually I've thought of some stuff that I want to know or consolidate and she also has something that she wants to teach me.

After a while in the plaza, we walk around the market or streets to learn new words and then end up at the honey shop, where we have a drink or something to eat and read the Bible.

I also had a suggestion from someone or somewhere to read the New Testament out loud - so for about the last half hour, we take turns and read a paragraph each... at first it was quite hard, but it's getting easier and I feel like I'm reading at a "normal" pace. It's been cool to learn "bible" words and we're up to Mark 11.

I feel like I am improving, more Spanish and less Spanglish... and it has been really fun to have language helpers and live with a family rather than be stuck in a classroom. Definitely recommend it!

Pray that my brain will continue to absorb Spanish!
Pray for Silvia, for the rest of her pregnancy and that the birth will go smoothly.

4 Comments:

Blogger fayfay said...

Hahaha...great to hear about your progress in Spanish! Definitely something to be thanking God for!

Honey store? What else do they sell there other than honey?

Btw...my new laptop finally arrived. I heart it very muchly :)

Friday, April 27, 2007 5:36:00 am  
Blogger prilz said...

They have a little cafe - and also sell jam and yoghurt. The honey is really really good!

Friday, April 27, 2007 5:38:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol yeah I'd also have asked what you buy at a honey store! I wonder exactly what honey tastes like with little processing..

Thanks for keeping us informed about how things are going - it's cool, and we like to know exactly what we can be praying for you about.

Saturday, April 28, 2007 9:39:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Prilz,

Fab to hear that you are settling in nicely!

Honey store sounds yummy!

xRenee

Thursday, May 03, 2007 6:03:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home